For my husband’s birthday, I threw a drinks & desserts party — the best kind of party (in my humble opinion). It was so fun to see friends (from all parts of lives) and family … and to start another (delicious) year together.
Featured desserts (as pictured above) were:
1. Homemade marshmallows, dipped either in caramel sauce or chocolate ganache. I used Martha Stewart’s marshmallow recipe, which is the best I’ve ever found. She’s a genius!
2. Fruit tart (all the fruit was from Trader Joe’s, surprisingly!)
3. Chocolate peanut butter cake. I made up this recipe and Ari loves it. I think it reminds him of his favorite food — chocolate-covered peanut butter pretzels. The cake had four layers of chocolate cake separated by thick layers of peanut butter frosting. The whole thing was coated on the outside with salted peanuts.
4. This is just a closeup of the peanut-y texture
5. This is a special cake that Ari and his whole family have been asking me to bake since we met. It’s a seven-layer sponge cake that his grandmother used to make (I only managed to cut the cake into five layers — I clearly am not as skilled as the famous Bubby!). I basically followed her recipe (with the help of my mother, who taught me how to cool the cake upside down on a wine bottle). However, the original recipe called for 5 raw eggs in the frosting. I made up an alternative, which was still chocolatey, but used whipped cream instead of eggs.
6. Part of the dessert spread — which includes some chocolate chip walnut cookies I baked and beautiful flowers my parents brought from their garden at the beach
7. The array of goodies. On the far left is homemade (very creamy) vanilla ice cream in a crystal cauldron!